Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Swimming on the East Rand

It's not quite like it is in Durban.
I often have to remind myself, more than once, that these people did not grow up like we did. They probably didn't do as much swimming at school and they definitely didn't spend their weekends training on a beach.
No, no. Their upbringing resulted in a slightly different relationship with water.

Most of the time there is a lot of this:
Empty swimming pool, not festive bunting. 
When there is an occasional visitor, I hear things like, "Can you do that flippy thing?"
And think things like, "You mean a tumble turn?" and how would Mr Phelps respond to a question like that.


'Flippy' thing? Really?
Attire wise, there is a whole lot of this:
OVER costumes
 And not an aweful lot of this:

And don't even get me started on the concept of sharing a lane. It's not something that is done. Ever. Apparently.

Give me swimming strength.

pics from google searches, sorry.

1 comment: